Suggested Questions for Class Discussion
The following questions may be used to help generate discussion, and as an activating activity to find out what students know:
- Why is Louis Riel considered the Father of Manitoba?
- Who owns this land and why? What constitutes land ownership?
- What is government?
- How are governments legitimized?
- Who are the Métis?
- Who originally lived in Red River Settlement (including what is now Winnipeg and surrounding area)?
- Why would the Métis care if Canadian surveyors came out to Red River?
- Why would John A. Macdonald negotiate with the Métis?
- What was Confederation?
- What is colonialism?